Hannah John-Kamen (born 6 September 1989) is a British actress. She is known for her roles as Dutch in the Syfy television series Killjoys, Ornela in the HBO series Game of Thrones, F'Nale Zandor in Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One, and Ava Foster / Ghost in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film Ant-Man and the Wasp.
John-Kamen was born in Anlaby, East Yorkshire, England, the youngest of three children of a Nigerian forensic psychologist father and a Norwegian former fashion model mother. She attended primary school in Kirk Ella and received her secondary education at Hull Collegiate School, and also trained at the National Youth Theatre in London. In 2012, she graduated from the Central School of Speech and Drama.
John-Kamen began her professional career in 2011 when she provided her voice for the video game Dark Souls. She then went on to make episode appearances in television series Misfits (2011), Black Mirror (2011), Whitechapel (2012), The Syndicate (2012), The Midnight Beast (2012) and The Hour (2012).
In 2012, John-Kamen landed the lead role of Viva in Viva Forever, a West End musical based on the songs of the Spice Girls. Written by Jennifer Saunders and produced by Judy Craymer, Viva Forever premiered on 11 December 2012 at the Piccadilly Theatre to largely negative reviews. The Daily Mirror, however, praised John-Kamen's performance, noting, "It’s a shame a talented cast, especially Hannah John-Kamen’s Viva and the rest of Eternity, are let down by a clichéd plot and leaden dialogue." The show was eventually closed on 29 June 2013.
2015 saw John-Kamen land a starring role in SyFy's Killjoys. In 2016 John-Kamen had a guest starring role on HBO's Game of Thrones. In 2016, she appeared in "Playtest", an episode of the anthology series Black Mirror. She also appeared in Season two of the UK series The Tunnel. In 2017, it was announced that Kamen had been cast as the villain in the superhero film Ant-Man and the Wasp.
On John-Kamen's role in Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One, Kristen Tauer wrote: “While much of “Ready Player One” takes place in a virtual reality world, John-Kamen’s character is unique in that she is rooted in the reality throughout the film.”
John-Kamen plays the piano and is trained in ballet, cabaret, jazz dance, salsa, and tap dance.
Video gamesYear Title Role Notes 2011 Dark Souls Lord's Blade Ciaran Voice role 2014 Dark Souls II Sweet Shalquoir
- ^ a b "Hannah John-Kamen Biography". Frost Snow. 24 February 2016. Retrieved 18 February 2018.
- ^ Brown, Emma (20 January 2017). "DISCOVERY: HANNAH JOHN-KAMEN". Interview Magazine.
- ^ "Hannah John-Kamen to star in Spice Girls musical". This Is Hull and East Riding. 3 October 2012. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- ^ a b "Hannah John-Kamen". The Casting Website.com. Archived from the original on 26 September 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- ^ Shenton, Mark (13 July 2012). "Initial Casting Revealed for West End's Viva Forever!, Featuring Music of The Spice Girls". Playbill. Archived from the original on 26 September 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- ^ a b Shenton, Mark (26 June 2012). "Viva Forever, Musical Featuring Spice Girls Songs, Confirms West End Opening at Piccadilly Theatre". Playbill. Archived from the original on 29 June 2012. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- ^ Palmer, Alun (12 December 2012). "Lost in Spice: Viva Forever! the Spice Girls musical is just a Wannabe". The Daily Mirror. Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- ^ "'Killjoys' actress unleashes her 'bossy' side". .bendbulletin.com. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- ^ "An Interview with Killjoys' Hannah John-Kamen, Aaron Ashmore, and Luke Macfarlane – Discussing Season Two". talknerdywithus.com. 29 June 2016. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- ^ "'Killjoys' John-Kamen generating heat". Welland Tribune. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- ^ "'Black Mirror' Season 3 Trailer: "No One Is This Happy'". Deadline. 7 October 2016. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- ^ https://variety.com/2017/film/news/black-mirrors-hannah-john-kamen-in-ant-man-and-the-wasp-1202456011/
- ^ Tauer, Kristen (2018-03-30). "Hannah John-Kamen, a Villain on the Rise". WWD. Retrieved 2018-04-05.